Thursday, October 28, 2010

Lemon-curry-something chicken with potatoes and some veggies

Since I lost my job, I've been sleeping in for way too long because I've been so damn bored. All my free time is spent behind the computer reading blogs, playing Family Feud on Facebook and stalking Muse on Twitter. The blogs that I've been obsessed with lately are all devoted to food and how it's made. I love discovering new recipes and salivating over pictures those bloggers post. As much as I love all things food, I don't actually cook much because I am so damn lazy.

Well today my mom was running late for work and didn't make dinner, so it fell on me. She called me to say that there's a chicken in the fridge and peeled potatoes on the table, and that I should do something with it. I read through my bookmarked blogs and found a lot of recipes I could make. However, because I am on a strict diet that doesn't allow most of the ingredients used by professional cooks, I had to come up with something of my own.

Enter my Chicken with a teeny bit of curry and potatoes with very minimal veggies. Long title, not many ingredients. This is what the finished product looked like:





Recipe with more pictures below

I used:
5 medium-sized potatoes
1 medium-sized onion
2 chicken breasts
1 egg
1 can of baby corn
2 big tomatoes
1/4 lemon
Eyeball salt, pepper, paprika, flour, curry, cinnamon, basil


I diced my potatoes

And onions




Heat vegetable oil (I prefer olive oil, but didn't have any). Throw in the onion to saute. Once they become translucent, throw in diced tomatoes.



Once the tomatoes start giving out the juice, throw in baby corn. After about 5-6minutes throw in the potatoes. At this time I decided to add some salt, pepper and paprika.

While the above is simmering under the lid at a low to medium heat, I cut up my chicken breasts into small cubes. Then I mixed the flour, paprika, salt, pepper, curry and a tiny bit of cinnamon and dipped my chicken in there before putting in in the skillet.



Once it is all arranged in the skillet, put some lemon on top, close the lid and let it simmer for about 10 minutes.



When you see that the chicken has its "crust" all ready, you can start mixing it for even heat distribution and add some more spices. I had to hold off on that because I cannot have anything spicy. Let it simmer another 5 or so minutes. Then take the egg, whisker it to make a uniform mass and pour it in your potatoes/chicken mixture. Let it sit under the lid for just under a minute and then mix it up. You can skip this step. I just like adding eggs to just about anything. 

At this point I added some basil. Fresh green would have been better, but I can't have any. I also had to skip on celery because of that. Let it simmer for another 5 minutes or so. The main thing here is to make sure the potatoes are cooked through. If they are, you can turn it off and dig in. I did.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...