Thursday, December 23, 2010

Dulce de Leche and Cinnamon Swirl Bundt


I was feeling creative today and thought, “Why don’t I mix together some ingredients and see what come out of it?” Such spontaneity is very uncharacteristic of me because I always expect failure, which I never like. It also turned out that I have absolutely no butter at home and a very small amount of shortening left. But I was just sooo bored that I went for it.

I whisked one egg with half a cup of brown sugar. I just prefer brown sugar over white one. 
 Then I poured in one tablespoon of vanilla extract and ¼ cup of milk and whisked it some more.
At this point I thought that maybe I should add the shortening, no matter how little of it I have. I scraped out ¼ of a cup and began whisking. It wasn’t going well so I put it on very low-heated stove to melt, constantly whisking. Took about a minute and a half to incorporate completely without heating up too much.
White the wet stuff was cooling down, I sifted together 1 cup of all-purpose flour with a pinch of salt, 1 teaspoon of baking soda, same amount of baking powder, half a teaspoon of ground nutmeg and 2 teaspoons of ground cinnamon. A mixer would have been better for this, but I was too lazy to take it out.

In the end I had a pretty dense mass and wasn’t sure anything good would come out of it. I whipped out my 6-inch Bundt pan, sprayed it with Smart Balance cooking spray and laid down a layer of the batter. Then I sprinkled some more ground cinnamon and drizzled dulce de leche. 

The remaining batter covered it and it went into the oven, pre-heated to 350F.

About 25 minutes later my creation was ready. 


Doesn’t look too bad, does it?
But how does it taste?
My family’s verdicts: NOT ENOUGH SUGAR! But otherwise it’s pretty good.
I was afraid the texture would be too dense, but it was actually soft and a little bit fluffy.
So if you’re making this, double the sugar, and use real butter. Nuts and rising would be  great addition too. Also, even though the cake did rise, the proportions were more suitable for a smaller bundt pan.
Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...