Tuesday, January 18, 2011

10 with 5: #3 Mushroom Latkes

Another recipe for the challenge and it turned out good. Mom-approved good. Yay me! I wasn't thinking about the challenge when I started, but then I though "Hmm, I only have three things in there, this might work for this challenge thing." Well it did. Kind of. If I could go back, I would have held back on the celery, so I could use flour as the 5th element. But since I couldn't do that (next time, maybe... definitely), I stuck with it and it wasn't that much of a fail.

I call them mushroom latkes because they look like latkes, but the main ingredient in there, other than potatoes, is mushrooms.
Yields: 24 Prep time: 30 min. Bake time: 18 mins.
2 medium onions, one yellow and one red
2 cups of diced white mushrooms
4 medium potatoes, shredded
2 stalks of celery
1 egg

1. Chop up your onions, mushrooms and celery. Mushrooms might need to be cleaned first.



2. Heat 1 tbs of olive oil in the pan and throw in the onions. Sweat them on low heat until they're translucent.

3. Add the mushrooms, mix them in so they're  mostly on the bottom on the pan, and simmer under the lid for about 15 minutes.

4. Add the celery (peas would be nice in this too), incorporate, and take off heat after 5 minutes. Let the concoction cool down.

5. Mix shredded potatoes and the mushroom mixture. Add salt and pepper to taste. Break in one egg and mix well. (Half a cup of AP flour would be added here as well).
6. Take a handful of the mixture in your hands, roll it into a ball, and then flatten into a patty. Place it on a prepared baking sheet.

7. Bake for 15 minutes in a preheated oven to 350F. Serve with a dollop of sour cream.

I fried the leftovers that didn't fit and they were good too.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...