Monday, January 3, 2011

Broccoli Mushroom Casserole

I never had a traditional, all-American casserole. Ever. After living here for 10 long years, I decided to take matters into my own hands and just make it. For New Year's Eve, no less. To make sure I do it properly, I found Alton Brown's episode of Good Eats on casseroles. I used his recipe with some tweaking. It turned out really good, and now I want to make/eat more varieties of this dish. Of course I would need to get a proper casserole dish first.


Serves 8. Prep time: 10 minutes. Baking time: 1 hr.
Original recipe here.

6 cups of broccoli
2 cans of mushrooms
1/2 cup mayonnaise
1/2 cup heavy cream
1 pack of garlic-flavored croutons
1 cup of shredded mozzarella
1 cup of shredded Cheddar
1 cup of shredded Parmesan
2 eggs
1 tablespoon of butter
Salt & pepper to taste

Preheat your oven to 350F.

1. Wash your broccoli with peeled and quartered stems. Shock them by placing them in boiling water for a minute and then immediately in ice-cold water.

2. Saute your mushrooms in 1tbs of butter. Since my mushrooms came from the can, I only did this for give them a bit of color.

3. Throw in the broccoli and mix.

4. Remove from heat. Add the croutons and mix well.

5. In a separate bowl combine the cheeses (hold some cheddar for crust), the mayo, heavy cream, whisked eggs and seasoning.

6. Add the vegetable/crouton mixture into the wet stuff and mix.

7. Coat your baking dish with a non-stick cooking spray and pack the mixture in it. Sprinkle with leftover cheddar, put the lid on (or cover with foil, like I did) and bake for 45 minutes. Then remove the cover and bake for 15 more minutes to give it beautiful brown crust.

Serve and enjoy!

2 comments:

  1. I was always turned off by casseroles too, but I've gotten over it. Yours looks great. I'm a broccoli addict and a mushroom addict, so I'll have to be trying this soon!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was never really turned off by them; I just haven't been in an American home where I would be fed one. Thanks for checking out my blog!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...