Friday, May 6, 2011

Lentil Soup

I absolutely love lentils. I think I could probably eat lentil-based food every day and never get tired of it. Of course, as luck has it, lentils are high in oxalate. High oxalate foods are a no-no for me right now. But I figured that I've been good for a couple of weeks with my diet, so I could cheat a little. So a cheated with this wonderful soup, which is easy to make and delightful to eat.

1/4 cup lentils
1/4 cup black-eyed peas
1 cup dry noodles
1 onion
1/2 green bell pepper
4 quarts beef broth

1. Soak lentils and beans in cold water.
2. Chop up the onion and begin sauteing. When it starts showing some color, chop up the bell pepper and add to the saute for about 5 minutes.

3. Bring beef broth to a boil (make one from scratch, tastes so much better) and add the lentils and the beans. Let them cook for about 20 minutes.

4. When the beans are half-way cooked, add the noodles. Cook for about 10-12 mins.
5. When the noodles are almost done, add the saute, season to taste, and cook for 5-7 more minutes.

Easy! And it tastes so...clean. Each individual ingredient has its own flavor, not masked with anything extra. You'll love it.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...