Monday, February 14, 2011

10 with 5: #10 Rainbow Couscous

I did it! I came up with 10 recipes with 5 ingredients of less all on my own. While some of them sucked, by the end of it I've progressed.
This last recipe was thrown together on a whim. I just came back from the city, tired and hungry. I grabbed the first thing in my pantry--couscous--and smiled. I wanted to make something with it for a while, and now I was pretty much pushed to it. You could use leftovers for the rest of the ingredients.

Yields 6-8 servings. Total time: 10 minutes.
1 box of couscous
5 cooked egg yolks
1 red bell pepper
1 tbs of dry onions
1 cup hazelnuts
Salt & pepper to taste

Cook couscous according to instructions on the box. I had whole wheat couscous, not really my favorite, but it was ok. Use anything you have.
These egg yolks are leftovers from last night's somewhat-deviled-eggs. Chop very finely, or crumble with your fingers.

Red bell pepper gets a fine chop as well.

As far as nuts go, since couscous is a middle eastern grain, pine nuts would work wonderfully here to keep up with the theme. I didn't have any, so I used hazelnuts. Use any technique you like for crushing them. I like to beat them senseless with a mallet.

Mix everything with cooked couscous, add dry onions, and season.

I served this with some home-made sauerkraut. I wish I added it into the couscous because it tastes so good together.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...