Monday, April 18, 2011

Happy Passover!

Tonight we will be celebrating the first day of Passover (Pesach), which is a Jewish Easter. I'm celebrating mainly for secular reasons. Also, that's my last name. So today's recipe will be Pesach-oriented.

I figured that most everyone will be writing about their variations of a matzo-ball soup. While I love that soup, I decided to write about something that's traditional for my family, and Jews from the Caucasus area. Both of my parents are from there, so that's what we eat. It also happens to be my most favorite dish.

It's called "Hoya-Goosh," which literally translates as "eggs and meat." We make it with poultry, and it is divine.

Yields: 4-6 Servings. Prep time: 1 hr. Cook time: 25 mins
3 large onions
Half a chicken, cooked
4 eggs
2 cups chicken broth
Salt & pepper to taste

1) Chop the onions into rings and begin sweating them.


2) While the onions are cooking, shred your cooked chicken with your fingers. I did the whole chicken in prep for tomorrow.


3) Once your onions start turning translucent, add some chicken broth to keep it moist.
4) When the onions become golden-brown, add the chicken and some more broth. Combine and season.

5) When the chicken starts to brown up a bit, whisk 4 eggs and pour over the mixture. Even it out with a spoon and cover the lid. Let cook for about 8 minutes, or until the eggs set.

6) Serve by itself or over white rice. When the juices seep through the rice, you will be rewarded with a clean, yummy flavor.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...