Thursday, January 27, 2011

10 with 5: #5 Semolina Apple Mini Cakes

I'm halfway done with this challenge! And I really like this recipe. It's so simple, yet so yummy. I've been meaning to try making something with semolina instead of flour, and it worked out perfectly in this recipe. I had a block of cream cheese sitting in the fridge since December, waiting to be made into something delicious. I thought that I need to use it before my brother saw it, because then it would definitely not make it into anything but his stomach.

They don't look like much. In fact, even when they're done, they don't look it. So if you want a pretty-looking cake, smooth it out before you place it in the oven because it will keep the same exact shape as it bakes. Next time I'll add a little milk and baking soda, since they obviously didn't rise at all. The texture is exactly what you would expect from semolina (that is if you ever had semolina porridge as a kid). It's very moist from the apples, custard-y from cream cheese and eggs, not overly sweet due to the honey. I drizzled some caramel on top to add a little sweetness. Apples and caramel just go so well together.


Yields: 1 dozen. Prep time: 15 mins. Bake time: 25 mins.
8 oz (1 pack) of cream cheese at room temp
1 medium-sized apple
1 egg
3 tbs of honey
1.5 cups of semolina

Preheat oven to 350F.
1. Lightly cream your softened cream cheese until it stops sticking to the whisk in chunks.

2. Peel and shred your apple and mix with cream cheese.

3. Add the egg and whisk well.

4. Add the honey (you could use sugar instead, but then you'd need a mixer).

5. Finally pour in the semolina and incorporate with the rest.

6. Add about 1.5 tablespoons in each cupcake liner and bake for 25 mins.

1 comment:

  1. This looks great :)I just joined the 10 for 5 Challenge and done with two recipes so far :) Hopping now to other 10 for 5ers for motivation;)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...