Saturday, February 12, 2011

10 with 5: #8 Tomato Omelet

I used to love this stuff as a kid. I still do. I don't know how popular it is in America, but where my mum came from, it's apparently a staple. Well I spiced it up a little, and here it is.

Yields: 4-6 servings. Total time: 20 mins
1 2lb-can of tomatoes, crushed preferably
3 eggs
1 medium onion
1 tbs of dry basil
1 cup of shredded mozzarella
Salt & pepper to taste

1. Chop up your onion and begin sweating in a wee bit of oil.
2. Open up the tomatoes and dump 'em into the now-translucent onions. Don't drain them. Let the liquids reduce by about half on medium-low heat.

3. Once the tomato reduce, sprinkle the basil on top. Don't mix too much; you want that stuff to stay on top. Just even it out with a spoon.

4. Whisk three eggs together. You can add your seasonings into the eggs as well. I didn't because I think the tomatoes have enough salt in them.
5. Pour the eggs onto the tomatoes slowly, making sure the surface is completely covered.

Then take your wooden spoon and level it so every spot is covered in eggs.

6. Cover with a lid, and let the eggs set; approximately 5-6 minutes.

7. Sprinkle some mozzarella (parm would work as well) before serving.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...